In 2018 we will begin providing famous Marian House Soup Kitchen Recipes online. This is just a taste of what’s to come!
- 25 lbs of onions peeled and chopped or julienne.
- 10 lbs of peppers, chopped Bell, multi-color, jalapeno, long green
- 5 lbs mushrooms, chopped
- (6) cans, large of whole kernel corn.
- (3) cans, large diced tomatoes
- (3) cans, large green beans, drained
- 3 lbs of carrots, cleaned and chopped into coins or canned carrots
- (2) cans, large sweet peas
- (3) celery bunches, chopped
- Plus any fresh vegetables, squash, corn, potatoes, green beans, asparagus that’s available
- Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Cayenne Chili, Beef Base and Worcestershire sauce
- (8) batches of the World’s Best Instant Mashed Taters V3.0
- 1 gallon of hot water in the Hobart mixing bowl (If we have some bones & aromatics to boil, all the better…
- 1.5 lbs of butter
- 1 pint of sour cream
- 8 oz. of cream cheese
Mashed Potato Instructions
- Slowly add the potato flakes to mixer – this is the single 64 oz package, with the one pound packages we use three.
- Add half gallon of whole milk, a pint – quart of buttermilk or half and half, or whipping cream
- Do not add the dry ingredients until the potatoes are well mixed or they will all settle to the bottom of the bowl.
- 4 oz. of ground pepper
- 4 oz. of granulated garlic
- 2 oz. of salt
- 4 oz. of parsley
- 2 tbsp of horseradish
4. Continue to blend (adding milk as necessary) till smooth going to 3rd gear at the end. The mashed potatoes need to be the consistency of wet cement (OK, who knows what that looks like anymore) but I guess a better way to put it is they need to be thoroughly mixed – “pourable but not too soupy”. One should remember, the Shepherd’s Pie will be in the oven browning/warming for a couple of hours so if they are “ready to eat thick” when they initially go on – they will be overdone coming out.“Batch” of the World’s Best Instant Mashed Taters make enough for two 4″ pans of layered meat and veggies.
- Divide meat between three Large Square-head Pans, add water or oil and brown meat.
- Season meat with: Garlic Powder ½ cup, Black Pepper ½ cup, and
Cheyenne Chile 1/8 cup each pan. When brown add a third of the onions, peppers and mushrooms and cook until soft. Dissolve a large spoon of beef base in hot water and a 3rd of a bottle of Worcestershire sauce in each pan. You may have to add more seasoning depending on taste.
Salt is not added to meat or vegetables.
3. While meat is cooking, start cooking all other fresh vegetables in as small amount of water as possible. When tender, add all of the canned vegetables and heat. When hot, drain liquid and save liquid for soup. Put water on for mashed potatoes.
- Drain vegetables and hold.
- Drain meat if there is a lot of grease or liquid.
- Spray baking spray in 4″ tray.
- Add 1 ¼ scoop of meat to tray and spread to an even 1/2 ” to ¾”.
- Add two scoops of vegetables and spread over meat. Continue until all meat and vegetables are used.
- While trays are being filled with meat and vegetables prepare mashed potatoes. When mixed each batch should fill two trays.
- Place trays in convection oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until potatoes are brown.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese if available and serve.
P.S. – If sufficient ‘fixings’ on hand, a separate batch of the World’s Best Instant Mashed Taters as a side dish always “sells”.